Journey of a Lifetime

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

In the Begining. . . .

The Journey to Ethiopia Begins!

After years of consideration and research, I am taking the plunge into the international adoption process. My interest in this journey began nearly 5 years ago, and after much thought, prayer, and consideration, I have officially started the long, interesting road to Ethiopia.

As I have progressed into my late 30's, my interest in adoption has become more of a need, than a consideration. I know in my heart that this is the right path for me to be a mom. My mother would tell you that patience has not historically been my strongest quality, but I think I have surprised her with my ability to work meticulously through the beginning steps of this process. We'll see how I hold up for the long run!

Last fall, my cousin announced to the family that she and her husband were adopting from Ethiopia, and I fell completely in love with the country, the people, the process, and of course, the kids. I chose my agency and found a social worker.

About Me:

I live in a small town in central Illinois with my 2 beautiful dogs and my 20-year old cat. (My secretary just informed me that the cat is actually 96 in cat years!) These boys are my entertainment, and although it seems silly, I think it will be interesting to see their reactions to having a child in the house. The dogs are goofy, gentle beings, who will be very nosy about all the activity. The cat. . .well as I said he's 20. . .he is deaf and sleeps most of the time, so I don't know that he'll even notice (unless he thinks he can get to some milk).

I am from a family of 4 kids, and have been blessed with 7 nieces and nephews, and 2 great-nephews. Most of my family lives within about 1 hour of me. I had a wonderful childhood, surrounded by my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. I could not have been more loved.

I have an amazing boyfriend (doesn't "boyfriend" sound like I'm still in high school?!), who spoils me rotten and loves me unconditionally. His kids are adults, and I'm not sure having a young child in his life was in his plans, but he is supportive. What a guy!

In my spare time I enjoy reading, traveling, spending time with family, my boyfriend, and friends, and trying to relax a little. I try to workout regularly, and I enjoy playing golf. As a public school administrator, "spare time" can be a little tricky to come by, but I like to work hard and play hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home