Journey of a Lifetime

Monday, September 28, 2009

3 months!!!

Last week marked our 3rd month as a family. We packed a lot into our 3rd month! We attended 2 Illini football games. . .one in St. Louis, and one in Champaign. During the trip to St. Louis on Labor Day Weekend, we walked under the arch, went to Union Station (it was raining, so we were trapped there for a bit), ate at Hard Rock, went to the game (no comment), and visited the zoo. It was a nice weekend trip with Len, and the kids were fortunate enough to not really understand how badly Illinois was embarrassed by Missouri. The zoo was definitely a highlight for the kids, and we were all pretty worn out by the time we got home on Sunday evening.

The kids are flourishing! Zoey continues to enjoy school. Her English is coming along so quickly, and her inquisitive spirit has made watching her such a blessing. Ben, too, is beginning to really talk up a storm. . .come to think of it, everything Ben does is like a storm! He is ALL boy, and may be the most curious, inquisitive, alert, active little one I've ever met! LUCKY ME!

Also in the past month, we had the pleasure of making/meeting new Ethiopian friends! We are so pleased to have them in our lives, and although all of us are busy people, I hope we can see them soon and often. We were invited to meet Tesfa, Annah, and Efi at their home (in Urbana) for a traditional Ethiopian meal. Zoey and Ben were obviously quite happy with the food, since they both ate A LOT! Also attending the meal were Kadir (an Phd student from Ethiopia, and another Ethiopian couple who lives in Tesfa's apartment complex). I have to say that I loved the food, the company, and the spirits! I did not enjoy Ben's behavior so much (please see the paragraph above).

Both kids had doctor's visits this month. Zoey has gained height and weight, and she's elated to have grown over 2 inches since coming to America. Ben has also grown over 2 inches, and he's only gained 1 lb! I'm thrilled that they are growing, although keeping them clothed may become a challenge.

Even more exciting news came my way this month! The kids do not know this yet, but their older brother may be coming to the USA very soon. I am not mentioning this to the kids until it's definitely going to happen, but I am praying that God sees it fit to reunite these siblings!

I can't imagine what the next 3 months will bring!

2 Comments:

  • I am so happy for you! I can't believe in 3 short months how those two have grown. You must be feeding them really well. It's protein, isn't it? They tend to not eat much protein in third world countries and their bones don't grow.

    Did you learn how to make injera? I need to learn but it looks so hard. Because my boys are older, injera has been a staple in their diet and I want to continue that. They all say they love pasta...that I can make!

    I will keep you informed as to our status with "Tamrat Israel" (according to the medical).

    By the way...Tamrat is 5'4" and 66lbs. He really needs some meat on his bones!

    By Blogger The Niedermeyers, At September 30, 2009 at 8:47 AM  

  • Thanks for the update, Barb!

    Be sure to share with the Niedermeyer's that Tamrat is not even close to 5'4"! You are almost 5'4" and he is a whole head shorter than you in the pictures! I know it is hard to convert those measurements they give in Ethiopia.

    We are all so blessed that our kids are thriving in the USA and with their new families!

    We miss you guys!

    By Blogger Mary, At October 9, 2009 at 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home