Two Month Old Family!
Today marks the 2 month anniversary of the Thompson family landing on US soil! As the days and weeks (and now months) move on, we are becoming more and more of a family.
Watching these kids grow and assimilate to their new world is a fabulous adventure to observe.
Zoey is remarkable. She has learned so much English and communicates so well. Some of her favorite pastimes are jumping rope, riding her bike, reading books, painting, and watching Dora, Diego, and Max & Ruby. She also loves Hannah Montana (what can you do?). If given the opportunity she would spend all day every day swimming and/or playing in water of some type. Her determination sets her apart from most kids. When she puts her mind to doing something, she works and works and works to improve. We've decided she will either be a swimmer or a distance runner with this personality trait. Some of her favorite people are Len, Deb, Brian, Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Beth, Jacob (a little boy who will be in her class), Leigh (the babysitter), Lucy (Leigh's daughter), Miguel (Leigh's son), Katie (a little girl who will be in her class), Alex (my secretary's daughter), and me (Mommy:)). She still seems to like her little brother, Ben . . .at least most of the time.
Over the past couple of weeks, Zoey has decided that "Ethiopia no good," which makes me sad. Last week we saw Karis and Lukas, and I have learned Zoey was not interested in speaking Amharic with them. I want so badly for her to hang on to her connection to that beautiful country and culture; however, she has a lot of difficult memories from Ethiopia. She continues to pray for her birth mom and brother every night, and we talk about them frequently, so she maintains her love of her first family. I suppose having a soft bed, plenty of food, a bath every night, toys and clothes of her own, and a secure roof over her head is a far cry from her first 5 years of life. Who can blame her for embracing "Americana"!
Tomorrow, Zoey starts kindergarten. . .another big adjustment for her. She seems ready, although a bit hesitant.
Ben is a mess! Of course, I mean that in the best way.:) He is a two-year-old through and through (although his birth certificate says he's three). He is the most inquisitive child I have ever met. . . meaning he is into everything ALL THE TIME. He is non-stop movement, and has two gears (off=sleep, and on=full speed). He entertains and frustrates me at the same time. Just last night, he flushed his "ca ca" and said, "bye, bye ca ca, wuv you." Could I get him to say "I love you, Mommy" when I dropped him off at the sitter's this morning? . . .WELL OF COURSE NOT! His language is coming along nicely, and as with the case with most mothers of 2-year olds, I probably understand more of what he says than anyone else. He's very good at naming his body parts. He recognizes a lot of zoo and farm animals. Wrigley and Harry may rate as two of his favorite things in the world! His favorite people are pretty much the same as Zoey's. Ben steals my heart every day with his big, round, brown eyes, and perfect little smile. I do love that kid!
I am still amazed that I am the center of the kids' universe. The fact that they would pick "mommy" over anyone else in the world is an awesome phenomenon. Seems like so many other people are more fun, more relaxed, and more experienced; yet, at the end of the day I'm their person! Seems when I lie down to sleep at night I think of everything I did wrong as a parent that day, then, we wake up in the morning, and the kids can't wait to get their arms around me and have me be their mom. . .such a wonderful thing.
God has blessed me with these spectacular children, and our 1st two months have been nothing short of incredible.
Watching these kids grow and assimilate to their new world is a fabulous adventure to observe.
Zoey is remarkable. She has learned so much English and communicates so well. Some of her favorite pastimes are jumping rope, riding her bike, reading books, painting, and watching Dora, Diego, and Max & Ruby. She also loves Hannah Montana (what can you do?). If given the opportunity she would spend all day every day swimming and/or playing in water of some type. Her determination sets her apart from most kids. When she puts her mind to doing something, she works and works and works to improve. We've decided she will either be a swimmer or a distance runner with this personality trait. Some of her favorite people are Len, Deb, Brian, Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Beth, Jacob (a little boy who will be in her class), Leigh (the babysitter), Lucy (Leigh's daughter), Miguel (Leigh's son), Katie (a little girl who will be in her class), Alex (my secretary's daughter), and me (Mommy:)). She still seems to like her little brother, Ben . . .at least most of the time.
Over the past couple of weeks, Zoey has decided that "Ethiopia no good," which makes me sad. Last week we saw Karis and Lukas, and I have learned Zoey was not interested in speaking Amharic with them. I want so badly for her to hang on to her connection to that beautiful country and culture; however, she has a lot of difficult memories from Ethiopia. She continues to pray for her birth mom and brother every night, and we talk about them frequently, so she maintains her love of her first family. I suppose having a soft bed, plenty of food, a bath every night, toys and clothes of her own, and a secure roof over her head is a far cry from her first 5 years of life. Who can blame her for embracing "Americana"!
Tomorrow, Zoey starts kindergarten. . .another big adjustment for her. She seems ready, although a bit hesitant.
Ben is a mess! Of course, I mean that in the best way.:) He is a two-year-old through and through (although his birth certificate says he's three). He is the most inquisitive child I have ever met. . . meaning he is into everything ALL THE TIME. He is non-stop movement, and has two gears (off=sleep, and on=full speed). He entertains and frustrates me at the same time. Just last night, he flushed his "ca ca" and said, "bye, bye ca ca, wuv you." Could I get him to say "I love you, Mommy" when I dropped him off at the sitter's this morning? . . .WELL OF COURSE NOT! His language is coming along nicely, and as with the case with most mothers of 2-year olds, I probably understand more of what he says than anyone else. He's very good at naming his body parts. He recognizes a lot of zoo and farm animals. Wrigley and Harry may rate as two of his favorite things in the world! His favorite people are pretty much the same as Zoey's. Ben steals my heart every day with his big, round, brown eyes, and perfect little smile. I do love that kid!
I am still amazed that I am the center of the kids' universe. The fact that they would pick "mommy" over anyone else in the world is an awesome phenomenon. Seems like so many other people are more fun, more relaxed, and more experienced; yet, at the end of the day I'm their person! Seems when I lie down to sleep at night I think of everything I did wrong as a parent that day, then, we wake up in the morning, and the kids can't wait to get their arms around me and have me be their mom. . .such a wonderful thing.
God has blessed me with these spectacular children, and our 1st two months have been nothing short of incredible.


2 Comments:
This is a great post! I can't believe it has been two months. I am only wondering why Doug, Lukas, Karis, and I don't have a spot on the favorite person list. Has she forgotten our week in Ethiopia already - and the several meetings since then!?!
I am so happy that you are "their person"!
By
Mary, At
August 21, 2009 at 9:36 PM
God Bless you Barb!
What a great testimony to the Glory of God....He sets the lonely in families and He has blessed you richly. May the blessings continue - Mama.
Leslee
By
Unknown, At
August 27, 2009 at 2:22 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home