Just a little over a month. . .and my how things have changed. . .
No amount of writing and reflecting can possibly describe the 1st month home with the kids. It continues to be an amazing journey. . . .a few bumps along the way, but mostly good times and incredible progress.
As anyone who knows me at all is aware, the sleeping situation has been the biggest issue. Between my jet-lag and the kids' adjustment to the 9 hour time difference, getting that all organized has been tricky. In the beginning, the kids were ready to sleep by late afternoon to early evening. In fact, our 1st night home, they slept for 4:00PM to 4:00AM. That was the last time they both slept through the night. For the past 2-3 weeks, Ben had been waking up 3-4 times a night, and needed me to go back to sleep. As of the past 4 nights, he has only been waking up twice, and we have all been getting more sleep. That makes everything better!
Zoey started out with some grieving issues at bedtime. . .many tears. I assumed it was grieving and stress from the change. I know for me, any stress, fears, or concerns are always worse at night. This seems to have passed for the time-being, and she is doing very well.
The turning point of our 1st month home came the 2nd week of July. We took a road trip to Jacksonville, FL, with Len to visit Desiree and Paden. I had a difficult time deciding if we should go or not, but whatever it was that happened on the trip made a world of difference. . .maybe for me, more than for the kids! I think part of it had to do with good rest on my part. With Len around to entertain Zoey, I could nap in the afternoon with Ben, and what a difference that made! Also, I think the "bonding" of a long road trip was good for all of us. God Bless Len for his patience and selflessness on this trip. He's a wonderful man!
Since returning from the road trip, the adjustments and settling in have continued. I started back to work 1/2 days, and the kids started going to the babysitter. THEY LOVE HER!! I could not have asked for that process to go more smoothly. I worried and worried, and the kids have been great. They are excited each morning to go see Lucy and Chiefy (the babysitter's 2 yr old and her dog!). They like Leigh (the babysitter) a lot, too! Zoey is starting to talk more about Miguel (Leigh and Drew's 10 yr old). One morning, I told Ben it was time to go see Lucy, and he ran out of the room saying, "WOOOHOOOO, Lucy"! Too cute!
Zoey has started some tutoring with her future kindergarten teacher. Unfortunately, the teacher had a death in the family, so the tutoring has been on hold for a bit. The good news is that Zoey really like Mrs. Sparks, and I think their time together prior to school starting is going to be beneficial for Zoey's transition into school.
4th of July at Grandpa's (which was actually June 26th!)

Ben and Uncle Fred at Grandpa's: June 26, 2009

Zoey on her "motorcycle": June '09

Ben enjoying a little corn on the cob: July 09

Family Shot: July 7, 2009

Ben sportin' his Cubs' pj's

Ben on the road trip to Jacksonville, Fl: July 8, 2009

Mommy and Ben at Pam's: July 19, 009

Zoey Swimming at Len's: July '09

Rastafarian Ben!
As anyone who knows me at all is aware, the sleeping situation has been the biggest issue. Between my jet-lag and the kids' adjustment to the 9 hour time difference, getting that all organized has been tricky. In the beginning, the kids were ready to sleep by late afternoon to early evening. In fact, our 1st night home, they slept for 4:00PM to 4:00AM. That was the last time they both slept through the night. For the past 2-3 weeks, Ben had been waking up 3-4 times a night, and needed me to go back to sleep. As of the past 4 nights, he has only been waking up twice, and we have all been getting more sleep. That makes everything better!
Zoey started out with some grieving issues at bedtime. . .many tears. I assumed it was grieving and stress from the change. I know for me, any stress, fears, or concerns are always worse at night. This seems to have passed for the time-being, and she is doing very well.
The turning point of our 1st month home came the 2nd week of July. We took a road trip to Jacksonville, FL, with Len to visit Desiree and Paden. I had a difficult time deciding if we should go or not, but whatever it was that happened on the trip made a world of difference. . .maybe for me, more than for the kids! I think part of it had to do with good rest on my part. With Len around to entertain Zoey, I could nap in the afternoon with Ben, and what a difference that made! Also, I think the "bonding" of a long road trip was good for all of us. God Bless Len for his patience and selflessness on this trip. He's a wonderful man!
Since returning from the road trip, the adjustments and settling in have continued. I started back to work 1/2 days, and the kids started going to the babysitter. THEY LOVE HER!! I could not have asked for that process to go more smoothly. I worried and worried, and the kids have been great. They are excited each morning to go see Lucy and Chiefy (the babysitter's 2 yr old and her dog!). They like Leigh (the babysitter) a lot, too! Zoey is starting to talk more about Miguel (Leigh and Drew's 10 yr old). One morning, I told Ben it was time to go see Lucy, and he ran out of the room saying, "WOOOHOOOO, Lucy"! Too cute!
Zoey has started some tutoring with her future kindergarten teacher. Unfortunately, the teacher had a death in the family, so the tutoring has been on hold for a bit. The good news is that Zoey really like Mrs. Sparks, and I think their time together prior to school starting is going to be beneficial for Zoey's transition into school.
4th of July at Grandpa's (which was actually June 26th!)

Ben and Uncle Fred at Grandpa's: June 26, 2009

Zoey on her "motorcycle": June '09

Ben enjoying a little corn on the cob: July 09

Family Shot: July 7, 2009

Ben sportin' his Cubs' pj's

Ben on the road trip to Jacksonville, Fl: July 8, 2009

Mommy and Ben at Pam's: July 19, 009

Zoey Swimming at Len's: July '09

Rastafarian Ben!


1 Comments:
Barb,
So great to hear from you! Your children just make my heart smile....it seems you all are adjusting and turning some of those corners that will take you to your "new normal" (about 10 mos from now I hear :). May the blessings continue in a Big Way.
Leslee
By
Unknown, At
August 4, 2009 at 9:13 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home