Summer 2008
This has been a busy summer that has flown by much too quickly. Over the next few days/weeks I am going to try to get some pictures posted regarding a few trips, family moments, and general goofiness. As an educator (one who is not getting any younger!), the summers are getting shorter each year. Before long, teachers and students will reappear for the start of the school year.
In June, my cousin, Jimmy, was married. This presented rare opportunity to capture a picture of the three cousins!
Also in June, Len and I vacationed to New York City. We had a great trip! On our 1st day, Len was very excited to visit the Dakota and Strawberry Fields. I think he was humming "Imagine" the whole time. This is Len at Central Park. Maybe John Lennon stood in this very spot!
Now here's something that may never happen again . . . .yes, that's me in a Yankee shirt. Although Yankee Stadium is no Wrigley Field, it was cool to see it, and to see the progress on the new Yankee Stadium across the street.
Of course, we visited the Statue of Liberty. This picture was taken from the Statue looking back toward Ellis Island and NYC.
Our next trip of the summer landed us in Jacksonville, FL, to visit with Len's daughter, Desiree, and his grandson, PL. We had a very nice visit, and PL has to be one of the best behaved 3 1/2 year olds that I have ever known. My cousin Chelle and her family also live in Jacksonville, and we worked out a time for all of us to get together for dinner, which was a nice bonus to the trip.
We visited the Jacksonville zoo, and PL was able to get up close and personal with the stringrays. He ended up with a new (dry) t-shirt after this adventure!
P and H enjoy a little pre-meal conversation. S takes in a swig of juice.


This was THE best dessert ever! Between the 7 of us at dinner, we split 3 of them. I don't remember the exact name of it, but it had something to do with s'mores. I think PL was trying to figure out if this was really for him. The pigeon on the table in the background was hoping for leftovers.
Chris and H dig into their dessert. H looks pretty intent on his task.
Three generations are hanging out at The Landing in Jacksonville, FL. Len, Desiree and PL all put on their best smiles.
Chris, Chelle, H and S stop for a family photo at The Landing.
S and H enjoying the water fountains after dinner.
The last weekend in July, we went to the Jimmy Buffett concert at Toyota Park in the Chicago area. It was a long, warm day, but we had a great time and enjoyed the day with great friends, Brian and Deb.
Although the typical menu for a Buffett concert includes cheeseburgers, we opted for a shrimp boil. Brian and Len were in charge of the "boiling" part. Brian struggled to keep his coconuts in place. . .he blamed it on age.
Len is ready to dig in to the awesome shrimp boil. Since "what happens at the Buffett concert, stays at the Buffett concert," I won't elaborate any more about the day's festivities. Suffice it to say that our group was calmer than most in attendance!

True blessings in my life allow me to visit these interesting places with such lovely people, and I feel so far removed from the plight of those in Ethiopia. How does one balance such good fortune with others' misfortune? I am beyond thankful for all that I have been given. I pledge to make an effort every day to express gratitude for my life and to keep those who struggle in my prayers.
In June, my cousin, Jimmy, was married. This presented rare opportunity to capture a picture of the three cousins!
Also in June, Len and I vacationed to New York City. We had a great trip! On our 1st day, Len was very excited to visit the Dakota and Strawberry Fields. I think he was humming "Imagine" the whole time. This is Len at Central Park. Maybe John Lennon stood in this very spot!
Now here's something that may never happen again . . . .yes, that's me in a Yankee shirt. Although Yankee Stadium is no Wrigley Field, it was cool to see it, and to see the progress on the new Yankee Stadium across the street.
Of course, we visited the Statue of Liberty. This picture was taken from the Statue looking back toward Ellis Island and NYC.
Our next trip of the summer landed us in Jacksonville, FL, to visit with Len's daughter, Desiree, and his grandson, PL. We had a very nice visit, and PL has to be one of the best behaved 3 1/2 year olds that I have ever known. My cousin Chelle and her family also live in Jacksonville, and we worked out a time for all of us to get together for dinner, which was a nice bonus to the trip.We visited the Jacksonville zoo, and PL was able to get up close and personal with the stringrays. He ended up with a new (dry) t-shirt after this adventure!
P and H enjoy a little pre-meal conversation. S takes in a swig of juice.

This was THE best dessert ever! Between the 7 of us at dinner, we split 3 of them. I don't remember the exact name of it, but it had something to do with s'mores. I think PL was trying to figure out if this was really for him. The pigeon on the table in the background was hoping for leftovers.
Chris and H dig into their dessert. H looks pretty intent on his task.
Three generations are hanging out at The Landing in Jacksonville, FL. Len, Desiree and PL all put on their best smiles.
Chris, Chelle, H and S stop for a family photo at The Landing.
S and H enjoying the water fountains after dinner.
The last weekend in July, we went to the Jimmy Buffett concert at Toyota Park in the Chicago area. It was a long, warm day, but we had a great time and enjoyed the day with great friends, Brian and Deb.
Although the typical menu for a Buffett concert includes cheeseburgers, we opted for a shrimp boil. Brian and Len were in charge of the "boiling" part. Brian struggled to keep his coconuts in place. . .he blamed it on age.
Len is ready to dig in to the awesome shrimp boil. Since "what happens at the Buffett concert, stays at the Buffett concert," I won't elaborate any more about the day's festivities. Suffice it to say that our group was calmer than most in attendance!
True blessings in my life allow me to visit these interesting places with such lovely people, and I feel so far removed from the plight of those in Ethiopia. How does one balance such good fortune with others' misfortune? I am beyond thankful for all that I have been given. I pledge to make an effort every day to express gratitude for my life and to keep those who struggle in my prayers.


1 Comments:
I love it! I TOTALLY remember Mary--they came home with their little ones and sent me a picture. Is it possible that you look alike, because it seems like it from your profile pic? Anyway, congratulations again on your I-171H, and on the fact that things really feel as if they're moving. I remember that wonderful feeling. I am so happy for you.
Blessings,
Danielle Black
By
Danielle, At
July 26, 2008 at 12:39 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home